Other cases - vocational tradesjiné případy
Step 1 Make sure that the trade you want to start is a vocational trade
How do I find out if the trade I want to start belongs to the vocational trades?
The list of all vocational trades is included in Annex 1 of the Trade Licensing Act.
If you are not sure of the official name of the trade you want to start with, we recommend reading the contents of trades. The contents of trades are described in the Government Decree no. 278/2008 Coll. in the contents of individual trades. According to the description of trades you can easily identify the name of your trade.
If you are sure about the nature of your trade, proceed to step 2
Step 2. Obtain all required documents
All listed documents of completed education in a certain area may be replaced by a document of education in a related area and professional experience in the area (the option is always behind the slash)
You may submit:
- certificate of apprenticeship in a relevant study program/a document of completed secondary education in a related area + a document of 1 year professional experience in this area
- certificate of secondary school education completed with the school-leaving examination or a certificate of completed secondary school education with professional qualification courses in a relevant area / document of completed secondary education with school-leaving examination in a related area and a document of 1 year‘s professional experience in the area
- document of completed higher (not university) professional education in a relevant area or a document of completed university education in an area of relevant study programs / document of completed higher (not university) education in a related area + document of 1 year‘s professional experience in the area
- document of completed university education in a relevant area / document of completed university education in a related area
- document of recognition of completed professional qualification in a relevant area in accordance to Act No 179/2006 Coll., on the Recognition of Further Education Results / document of completion of requalification course for a certain profession issued by an educational institution accredited by Ministry of Education + 1 year professional experience / document of 6 year professional experience
What should the document of professional experience look like?
The document of professional experience doesn't have a prescribed form. It must always be a document issued by the employer where the name of the regulated trade, length of professional experience in the regulated trade, your position and the list of duties you performed should be included. If you performed regulated trade as an individual, the professional experience may be proved by completed projects. The length of the period when you were performing as a self-employed person.
Step 3 Have your documents of education recognized
How to proceed with recognition of secondary and higher (not university) or university education
If one of the requirements for obtaining a trade licence is a completed secondary or higher education, you need to have the document of completed education recognized. If the document of university education is required, you need to have the diploma recognized.
Step 4 If the document of professional experience is required, have it translated into Czech by an interpreter registered in the register of experts and interpreters.
How do I obtain a translation prepared by an interpreter registered in the register of experts and interpreters?
Step 5 Attach a certified copy of your documents to the trade licence application and submit
How do I obtain a certified copy?
You can make a copy of your document on any photocopying machine. Then you need to have it authorized by a notary who knows the language in which the diploma or certificate has been issued.If you let the notary make the copy, you do not have to worry about his/her language competences.
The list of notaries can be found on the website of the Notarial Chamber of the Czech Republic. The authorization will be done by the notary while you wait. The notary authorization is a paid service. Each notary determines the price for the provided service. For the notary authorization you do not need to be present (in person) nor you need to prove your identity.
Where do I submit my trade licence application?
The trade licence application may be submitted at any trade licence office.
The directory of trade licence offices in the Czech Republic may be found here.